Unpredictable vehicle behavior is also undesirable for garages and can have serious consequences. Attention will certainly be paid to this in the RI&E document that is mandatory for every company. To exclude unwanted vehicle behaviour, the RI&E can include that when you work on electric and/or plug-in hybrid cars, you first install the Emergency plug. This eliminates the risk of unintentionally driving off.
A major advantage of the Emergency plug is that all other electrical components such as: direction indicators, lamps, electric windows, etc. continue to work. Working when the Emergency plug is plugged in can therefore provide many benefits, for example during an MOT inspection.
Want to know more about risk mitigation?
Technical assistance to plug-in vehicles entails additional dangers for the fire service; think of electrocution, thermal runnaway and unpredictable vehicle behaviour. However, the realization that electrocution danger is nil when providing assistance, but that unpredictable vehicle behavior is the biggest problem is decreasing more and more. For more information read here or go to the website.
We discuss this in detail in the lessons that Total Safety Solutions gives. We can also demonstrate these dangers in the practical lessons with a scale model car. View the training E-voertuigen
Did you know that?
- The Emergency plug is universal and fits every electric car and plug-in hybrid with a type 1 and type 2 plug connection.
- The Emergency plug has a luminescent edge that glows blue when an electric car is actually “on” and the plug prevents the plug from driving off. This is an extra safety to check the condition of the car.
- The Emergency plug has a self-test function. With a button you test whether all software works correctly before you apply it. When operating correctly, the edge of the Emergency plug lights up green.
- An electric car normally locks an installed plug to prevent theft, for example. This makes it difficult to remove a normal charging plug. The Emergency plug is designed in such a way that it does not lock, making it easy to remove. This protection ensures that you can use the plug again and again.
- The Emergency plug can open the valve for the charging connection of a Tesla with the test button.
- The Emergency plug provides software updates.
- Using the Emergency plug prevents a lot of damage.